Foreword ─ The Establishment of Ginling Women’s College
In 1913, in order to promote women's education, American Council of Churches decided to co-fund, jointly founding the first women's college of China in Yangtze River Basin. In 1915, Mrs. Laurence Thurston was hired as principal. In September, Ginling Women's College was officially opened; there were 11 freshmen (5 first graduates afterwards).
At the beginning, the school rented the former residence of Li, Hong-Zhang in South Shuohua Lane in Nanjing. In 1923, the school was moved to Ninghai Road Garden. In 1928, the first alumnus of Women's College, Dr. Xu, Yizhen, served as chairman; the first alumnus, Dr. Wu, Yi-Fang served as principal. The school flourished.
In 1951, Ginling Women's College was merged with University of Nanjing, becoming Public University of Ginling. In 1952, on the original site of Gingling Women's College, Nanjing Normal University was established. Gingling Women's College had been founded for 37 years. There were 999 gradutes in total.
Establishment – The Establishment of Ginling Girls’ High School
After the government moved to Taiwan, for the gratitude to the grace of the alma mater's cultivation, the alumni of Ginling Women's College in Taiwan hoped to re-establish the school in Taiwan. Since there were various limiting conditions for establishing the university, they organized a high school instead.
In 1954, the alumni organized school committee, and the alumnus Cheng, En-Tze served as convener. At that time the committee's main obligation was to raise funds and to look for school sites. Afterwards, they held garden parties, charity bazaars, concerts, etc. Alumni were dedicated to donations. With generous help from Mr. Kang, Li-Wu (Alumnus Kang Chen, Yue-Mei's husband) and some enthusiastic people from the society, they purchased the site, "Yi-De New Village," in Sanchong City, Taipei County.
After gaining the site for the school, in 1956, Ginling Alumni Association organized Ginling High School Board of Directors. The president of the school committee, Ms. Lai Sun, De-Fang, served as the first chairman of the board. The school was open on November 5th. The first principal was Ms. Xu, Xiu-Ying. There was only one class for the first grade in junior and senior high school in the first year, 54 students in total. According to Ginling Women's College's heritage, "abundant life" is the school motto, and purple is the school color. The first Saturday of November each year is School Anniversary Celebration Day. These are for carrying forward the ideals of education from the alma mater.
Construction – Building of the Campus and Architecture
There was continuous fundraising in Ginling Girls' High School's initial stage, in order to expand the campus and teaching equipment, and to improve the quality of teaching, stepping toward holistic education, which lays equal emphasis on the Five Disciplines. It was followed by the successive construction of Tze Ai Hall, Ho Sheng Building, I De Yard (students' dormitory).
Afterwards, with Mr. Zhao, Ting-Zhen and his wife's donation, there was the construction of the library; with the alumnus Wang Bi-Xia's donation, there was the construction of staff dormitory, of which one building contains ten households, named as Jien Hui Hall and Bi Xia Building. Afterwards, there was also the construction of Home Economics Center, Si Yi Hall, etc. The construction of school buildings was basically settled.
Since Principal Xu, Shuo-Ying took charge of the school in 1968, teachers' quality had been emphasized. In addition to hiring outstanding local teachers, the school had specially invited foreign teachers to teach English conversation courses. Besides, the school established family internship, in which students developed the emphasis of family ethics.
In 1970 when Ginling Women's College alumnus, Cheng, Zheng-Rong, took over as school principal, the number of students had increased to six hundred. Since Ginling's serious attitude and spirit of operating the school had been affirmed by the society, in this stage the school was committed to strengthening the welfare of teachers, improving teaching quality, and strengthening parents' connection for encouraging the parents to provide resources and support the school.
In 1972, alumnus Chen, Jia-Hui took over as principal, in addition to the dedication to campus renovations and the emphasis on students learning environment, the school strived to build Ginling Bridge in order to promise the safety of teachers and students. In 1976 when principle Chen resigned due to illness, alumnus Gin Shu Mei succeeded as principal.
The school constructed Common Building and expanded Ho Sheng Building. In 1983 after alumnus Yang, Jin-Zhong passed away, Ginling Women's College's alumni Wang, An-Zhen etc. launched Jin Zhong commemorative fund campaign and donated to the school. The next year based on the commemorative fund, the school built Jin Zhong Building. The remainder of more than four hundred thousand NT dollars was used for providing Jin Zhong Xu Guang Memorial Scholarship. In this period, the number of students increased to more than one thousand and three hundred.
Thriving and Robust – Attempt of Breaking Through and Revolution
In this period there were many breakthroughs and changes, first of which was to improve the quality of students and to implement the educational ideal of Six-Year Integrated Curriculum.
In 1985 Principal Chen, Jia-Hui proposed the policy, "Direct Entry," for "improving the quality of the students." Many junior high school students who are excellent in both moral and academic learning as well as their parents agreed Ginling; they gave up going to the public high schools, but chose to stay in Ginling. Second, after the establishment of the school, it had been always the alumni of Ginling Women's College presiding the school council and continuing 30 years of nurturing and development.
In 1988, Board of the Directors appointed Ginling Girls' High School alumnus Huang, Sheng Lan as principal. Then, there were a number of alumni returning to serve the school. At this time due to the drastic social change and the change of educational environment, the government extensively set up public high schools. Thus in 1993, Ginling quit Joint Private School Programs Admissions System and changed to independent enrollment.
Although faced with various challenges, Ginling was still growing in stability. In this period of time, the school built Zhi De Building, Front Gate Security, Zhi Shan Building, and set up language classrooms, computer labs, and laboratories for various subjects. Later, Ginling received the special grants as outstanding humanity school from Ministry of Education, and set specialized classrooms of history, geography, and Japanese.
In 1994, former Chairmen of Parents Association expanded the love of their children to the love of all Ginling children. They initiated the establishment of Ginling Cultural and Educational Foundation. Chairman of Parents Association, Li, Qian-Long, served as Chairman of the Board. Ginling as the center, the board expanded cultural and educational work outwards, sponsored every school activity, and organized Golden-Seal Award competitions to deeply cultivate culture and education.
In 1997, firstly for continuing the connection with Ginling, and secondly for promoting the friendship and interaction among the parents of Ginling graduates, the Chairman of Parents Association, Tan, Liang-Ji initiated the establishment of "Ginling Affinity Committee," to inherit the spirit of Abundant Life. Board of Directors, Alumni Association, Parents Association, Ginling Foundation, and Ginling Affinity Committee were combined as "Ginling Family," and laid the cornerstone of the school's development.
Outstanding Quality – Inheriting Abundant Life and Nurturing International Ginling Girls
During Principal Huang, Sheng-Lan's term of service, she brought together the force of Alumni Association, Parents Association, and etc., and laid the good cornerstone of school development. Since Ms. Li, Tai-Ling succeeded as the second principal graduated from Ginling Girls' High School in 2005, the school had been facing the declining birthrate and the Twelve-Year Public Education Program. Principal Li led the executive team to seek new development step by step. In 2009, completing the renovation of Ho Sheng Building, school's evaluation was also assessed by Ministry of Education as first-rate. In this period of time, the school began to think about how to respond to the starting of Twelve-Year Public Education Program and the development of school-oriented characteristics.
In 2013, Ms. Lai, Jui-Huang succeeded as the third principal graduated from Ginling Girls' High School, leading all the teachers to reach a consensus and designating school-based vision as "Abundant Life, Nurturing International Ginling Girls."
This is leading the school towards quality education, intelligence technology education, and international education, and more actively seeking the funding for the projects from Ministry of Education and Department of Education, such as two-stage outstanding high school project, New Taipei City flagship project, international education SIEP project, homogenization project, learning community pilot project, action learning project, and so on.
All staff work together to inject the development of school characteristics, and moreover, to plan and arrange additional technology intelligence classrooms and to import action learning plan, in order to see the learning needs of students and to promote the teaching enhancement of teachers. In this flipped teaching era, Ginling has created quality learning campus and cultivated high-quality young women.
Now the school has 47 classes. The number of students reached 2,000 people, and graduates are nearly twenty thousand, who have become the mainstay in various industries. They not only have good reputations in the society, but also inherit the founding spirit of Ginling. In addition to working to improve the students' academic achievement, Ginling Girls' High School puts more emphases on the cultivation of students' morality, full play of students' talents, physical training, social/collective incentives, aesthetic nurturing, and the pursuit of spiritual inspiration. We expect that aside from focusing on academic learning, the students can develop the spirit of respect for others and teamwork with a due division of labor.
We cultivate students' care of things with life education. Therefore, in warm and pure campus, there is naturally reserved atmosphere of gratitude, which exhibits the value of abundant life. This love and passion will be with Ginling under sustainable management, and last forever.